This Greek revival home was built for Edward and Elizabeth Yale McQuie in 1858.

January 2020
old pic

Edward McQuie was a merchant and one of Louisiana’s most prominent citizens. He built his house at 405 N. Third St. during Louisiana’s first major period of affluence. It is a brick, double-pile house, with a five-bay facade. It has a wrought iron fence set into a stone retaining wall that surrounds the property.

Edward Goode McQuie was born in Garrard County, Kentucky on May 27, 1804 to William and Sarah McQuie. He arrived in Louisiana May 4th 1824 and settled with his father’s family at the springs near the old fair grounds. At that time, Louisiana only had about 250 inhabitants. When he first came to town he was very intrigued by the Native Americans that lived in the area and tried to imitate their dress in an effort to keep himself cool. “No sooner had he donned the Indian costume when several white ladies rode up and he had to skedaddle to the hazel brush and remain there until they departed.” Mr. McQuie informs us that when he came here upon nearly every high hill south of town were large mounds or hillocks which bore clear indications of being depositories for the dead or relics of the inhabitants that once occupied this country, but that the Indians who were then here could give no information of who constructed them or what they contained. A tradition existed among the Indians that some five hundred years before that time, the country was inhabited by a race of people who constructed these mounds. 1

February 25, 1835 McQuie married Elizabeth H. Yale, daughter of John and Mary Ann Betts Yale. Elizabeth was born in Virginia on April 22, 1813.  He and Elizabeth raised 2 children, Edward R. McQuie, born February 9, 1835, and Mary Frances (Fannie) McQuie, born September 27, 1840.


Edward worked as a merchant for forty-nine years in Louisiana. He amassed a fairly significant wealth.  The 1870 census records show he had real estate holdings valued at $32,000, and a personal property value of $10,000. The 1850 census slave schedule he owned 7 slaves.

1850 slave schedule just McQuie
E.G. McQuie Ad

On her eighteenth birthday, September 27, 1858, Fannie married Pembroke Somerset Senteny. He was born January 17, 1835 in Bethel, Ohio to Andrew Jackson and Hannah McKay Senteny.  Pembroke applied to West Point when he was sixteen but we have found no evidence they he was accepted.

Pembroke and Fannie had two sons Andrew Edward (1859-1940) and Pembroke Somerset Jr. (1861-1945)  while living at this house with her parents. When the Civil War broke out, Pembroke fought for the Confederate Army, although Louisiana was under Union control.  Pembroke Senteny commanded the Second Missouri Confederate Infantry.  Fannie, missing her husband and willing to take great chances to see him and deliver news and supplies from home to other soldiers, she made many trips across the Union line.  Her actions caused a lot of anger among Union troops here in Louisiana, as seen in this correspondence between Union officer Edwin Draper and his commanding officer:

“     I desire to call your attention to one other matter, perhaps of local rather than general interest, but still of general interest to the service: There are certain families living in this place and county whose husbands and relations are in the rebel army. I allude to the wife and family of John Q. Burbridge, a brigadier general in the rebel army; to the wife and family of J.P. (P.S.) Senteny, a major in the rebel army; to the family of George O. Matthews, a captain in the rebel army, and various privates in the army. Ever since the rebellion commenced the wives of the above named officers and their friends have kept up a constant communication with their friends in the rebel army, sending clothing and other articles for their use. They keep up constant, mail communication with them, and by these means they greatly aid and comfort the rebels.  Mrs. Burbridge has twice been passed through our lines to the rebel army, and it is understood here that she is shortly expected back again.  Mrs. Senteny, wife of Major Senteny was passed through our lines at Corinth to her husband, and is expected back here soon. In all these trips they carry rebel mails, clothing, etc. While humanity is certainly commendable in some cases, it is a question how far there courtesies ought to be extended to the most inveterate rebels, male and female, in the rebel army, who have been protected here in the enjoyment of all the rights and privileges due to loyal citizens, and they have repaid it by constant abuse of Union citizens.  I speak what I know to be the desire of every loyal lady and gentleman of this town, that the friends of there rebel officers should be treated as the friends of any other rebels, and from whom we have to expect, in the event of their over getting into power here, nothing but the most degrading and brutal treatment, though I must say as yet we have not much apprehension of danger from that source.

Again, sir, excuse the liberty I have taken, and the length of this letter, and ascribe it to an ardent desire to contribute my mite to the cause of our country.

I am, with much respect, your obedient servant,

Edwin Draper” 3

Senteny bronze

“Only a few days before the battle of Port Gibson, Mrs. General Bowen, Mrs. Colonel Sentiny (Senteny) and Mrs. Colonel Irwin had come out from Missouri, passed through the lines and joined their husbands at the command. The day before the battle I noticed them all three at General Bowen’s headquarters, chatting gayly with one another and a group of officers around; their faces were bright and cheerful, and in a reunion with their husbands and friends they seemed perfectly satisfied and happy.  But alas! so soon, by the reckless hand of war, was this to be turned into grief and woe and bitter wailing!

These ladies were left outside, separated from their husbands by the siege, and when it was over, Colonels Sentiny (Senteny) and Irwin had gone to their long, last home, and the happy wives of a few weeks before were now grief-stricken widows. ” 4

July 1, 1863 – Vicksburg, Mississippi

“About dark, Lieutenant-Colonel Sentiny (Senteny) was looking over the works and making some observations, when he was shot through the head by a mini ball and killed instantly. With bitter tears of grief and sorrow the regiment beheld the body of this gallant officer, who had led them through many trying scenes and fiery ordeals, now borne back a corpse. No more would we here his calm and deliberate, though firm and quiet, commands, and be re-assured and stimulated, in the hour of danger, by his self-possessed and determined bearing. The men loved him as their friend, and honored and esteemed him as their commander: he was a brave soldier and an accomplished gentleman. ” 5

 In 1873 Fannie married Thomas L. Anderson Jr. son of Thomas and Fanny Winchell Anderson. They had two children together, Thomas L Anderson (1874-1948) and Elizabeth Yale Anderson (1876-1963).  Her mother Elizabeth passed away in 1875 and her father Edward G. McQuie in 1878.  Sadly her husband, Thomas died in 1881 and then later that same year her brother committed suicide. Fanny continued to live in the home until her death on September 7, 1928. Of Fannie’s children, only Thomas married and moved from this house permanently. Andrew, Pembroke and Elizabeth all lived in the home their grandfather built throughout their lives.

Edward R. McQuie died tragically in an attempted murder-suicide detailed in an article in the Riverside Press October 20, 1881:

” On Friday afternoon the community was shocked by the report that Edward R. McQuie, son of the late E. G. McQuie, and brother-in-law of the late T. L. Anderson, Jr., had taken his own life after having shot his wife.

From what we could hear of the tragedy and its causes, it appears that the deceased for sometime back had not been living very harmoniously with his wife, and being addicted to the free use of liquor, he had become, at times, temporarily insane, although at the time of the tragedy it is said he was sober. Since his marriage to the present Mrs. McQuie, who was formerly Miss Mattie Adams, daughter of Mr. Geo. L. Adams of this city, which event occurred in the latter part of December, 1880, his life, to use his own words, had become ” a perfect hell.” Of this we know nothing, and did we, would not care to enter into details, but that a broad chasm existed between the pair their can be no doubt. About four or five weeks ago, “Ed”, as he was familiarly called, purchased, at the auction store of J.S. Barnum on Georgia street, a revolver known as the “Hard Pan,” 32 caliber, which he stated he wanted for self protection, as he often had considerable money about his person, and feared being assaulted.

The wound which Mrs. McQuie received in the left shoulder, is fortunately a flesh one, and although painful is in no way dangerous, Dr. Bartlett having successfully extracted the ball. Below we subjoin the testimony deduced at the Coroner’s inquest, and the verdict of the jury: Mrs. Mattie E. McQuie of lawful age, being produced and duly sworn testified as follows:

My name is Mattie E. McQuie, my age 19 years. I reside in the City of Louisiana, county of Pike and State of Missouri. I am the widow of the deceased, Edward R. McQuie. In the first instance, my husband stated he was going out the stable to give his mules some hay. I told him I would go with him, for I was afraid he would fall. When I went out he was standing close to the stable door that leads into the street. I said to him, ” Are you going up to get the hay?” He replied, ” If I do I will have to take my boots off.” He then stooped down as if in the act of taking off his boots, and just as he raised up I saw the handle of a pistol. As soon as I saw it I screamed and turned to run when he fired at me, the ball taking effect in my left shoulder. I ran into the house and did not see my husband shoot himself. No other persons were present at the time of the shooting.

Mollie Adams of lawful age, being produced and sworn testified as follows:

I reside in the City of Louisiana, MO., and at the home of my father, Mr. Geo. L. Adams, where my brother-in-law, Mr. Ed. R. McQuie, and my sister, his wife, were boarding. On Friday, October 14, 1881, I first heard my sister, Mrs. McQuie, screaming, and soon after heard the report of a pistol when I ran to her, and then followed a second report. Ongoing to the sidewalk at the west of the dwelling I there found Ed. R. McQuie lying dead as I supposed, and upon examination he was in reality dead, which I immediately reported to the family. To the best of my knowledge the shooting took place between the hours of 4 and 5 o’clock on the afternoon of Friday, October, 14, 1881.

Dr. E. M. Bartlett of lawful age, being produced and sworn testified as follows:

My name is E. M. Bartlett. I reside in the City of Louisiana. My age is 70 years. I was sent for on October 14, 1881 to go and see Mr. Ed. R. McQuie, and was told that he had shot himself. When I got to where he was, which was on the sidewalk west of the dwelling occupied by Mr. G. L. Adams in the city, he was lying on his face with his right hand under him and the pistol between the hand and the abdomen. The pistol is a five-shooter, and upon examination I found two of the chambers empty and the other three full. The ball took effect at the bridge of the nose and went to the base of the brain producing, in my judgement, instant death.

H. C. Duffy of lawful age, being produced, sworn and examined, deposed and said:

I reside in the city of Louisiana, MO. My age is 47 years. On October 14, 1881, Mr. McQuie came to my store in this city between 3 and 4 o’clock pm, and handed me a receipt and said he wished me to hand it to Pem. Senteny. I told him I would do so, but asked him why he did not do it, himself when he answered that he did not know if he would ever see Pem. Senteny again. I asked him why he made such a remark, when he added ” If you will say nothing about it I will tell you.” He then went on to say that I knew he was in trouble with his folks, to which I replied that I knew nothing about it. He then said that he had made up his mind to kill his wife and then kill himself. I tried to persuade him out of the notion and told him to go away and return in the morning when I would give him some advice that I thought would be beneficial to him. He remarked that he was not drunk, but knew as much as he ever knew and added that he had lived as long as he wanted to live; that he was tired of life and had made up his mind to kill his wife and then kill himself. He further added that he intended to go to his house, take off his boots, shoot his wife, run to his sister’s house and when in the yard there shoot himself. I told hm that would not so and he would frighten his sister to death. He then said he would change his plans in some particulars. I saw the pistol in the possession of Mr. McQuie during this conversation. (The pistol was shown witness who identified it as the one shown him by the deceased at the time of the conversation above stated.) From the time Mr. McQuie left my store until I heard of the shooting I think it could not have been more than half an hour.

The Verdict.

Louisiana, Mo. Oct. 14th, ’81.

We, the undersigned jurors, empanelled and sworn on the 14th day of October, 1881, at the township of Buffalo, in the county of Pike and State of Missouri, by W. A. Gunn, Justice of the Peace, and acting coroner in and for the township of Buffalo to diligently enquire and true presentment make, how and by whom, Edward R. McQuie, whose body was found at or near the residence of Geo. L. Adams in this city, on the 14th day of October, 1881, came to his death, do find that the deceased came to his death from a pistol shot fired by his own hand.

W.H. Bauman, Samuel Kem, E.B. Baxter, W.H. Biggs, A. Tinsley, H.P. Brown, W.A. Gunn. J.P., and acting coroner.

Will of Deceased

The following is an exact copy of the will of the deceased written on brown paper with a pencil and exhibited to Marion Rhea and others a few hours before the tragedy, and which is published just as written by him without alteration, and which clearly shows that the suicide was carefully and deliberately planned and executed. It also goes far to establish the fact that he had deliberately formed the purpose, which only partially succeeded, of killing his wife. The will not being attested is of course worthless.

The mules and harness and wagon are mine. I do hereby solemnly declare that I have this day willed all of my property now in my possession to Pembroke Senteny, to have and to hold the same forever. I do this to avoid writing out a legal will at an extra expense. He must pay the mortgage on the farm- $400.00, and $250.00 to Matson. I am tired of living.

-E.R. McQuie

I owe Mrs. Adams for 8 months washing at 75 cents per week, and $15.00 board bill– $6.00 for room rent.

Mattie has married me for my property and I am going to kill myself.

-Ed.” 6

1. Louisiana Press Journal. 1877. “Edward G. McQuie,” May 10.
2.  Maysville Ledger. 1910. “Killed At Vicksburg- During Great Siege- Colonel Pembroke Senteny’s Body Reinterred,” August 16.
3. “Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, 1861-1865.” n.d. Washington, DC: National Archives. pgs. 271-272
4.  Anderson, Ephraim McD. 1868. Memoirs: Personal and Historical. First Missouri Confederate Brigade. 2nd ed. St Louis, MO: Times Printing Co. pgs. 365-366
5.  Anderson, Ephraim McD. 1868. Memoirs: Personal and Historical. First Missouri Confederate Brigade. 2nd ed. St Louis, MO: Times Printing Co. pg. 355
6. The Riverside Press. 1881. “Suicide and Attempted Murder: Edward R. McQuie Gone to His Maker,” October 20.
%d bloggers like this: