This building was constructed ca. 1885
This building has primarily served as a grocery store during its existence, but it has also house a saloon and billiards hall, several restaurants, and a bakery. It was constructed around 1885. Prior to the construction of this building, the site also had a grocery store run by Benjamin Shelley. ¹ In the 1892-93 city directory, this building is listed as a grocery store run by W.H. Brown. This ad appeared in the Louisiana Press Journal in 1887:
“Will H. Brown, dealer in staple and fancy groceries, is located on the corner of South Carolina and Main Streets. By having in stock none but the best articles and by selling them at a close margin, he has established himself in a growing business. Energetic and honorable, and industrious he has ingratiated himself into the affections of the people. He succeeded his father, with whom he was identified in a business relation for years.”
In January of 1893, the building was bought by H.J. Armstrong. Under his ownership the store is first referred to as the City Market. The ad that ran in the Louisiana Press Journal said ” Come to the “City Market” No. 125 S. Main Street The Cash Grocery.”” ³
- “Pike County Directory: Louisiana City Business Directory (1892-1893).” n.d. Louisiana, Missouri.
- Louisiana Press Journal . 1887. April 21.
- Kuhlmann, Julie, Melinda Winchester, and Roger Maserang. 2005. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form.