In 1855, Carstarphen and Saffarans gave a contract to Levi Ruggles & Powhatan Baird to build a three story double brick store building at 301-303 Georgia.1
301 Georgia Street has been the home to a drug store for much of its existence. The 1875 Louisiana City Directory has J.W. Martin & Co, drugs at this location. The September 1885 Sanborn Fire Map has this location labeled as “Drug & Photo”. The 1892 directory is an exception with the Wald Bros offering Boots and Shoes for sale at 301 Georgia Street. Frederick D. Stichter has established Stichter Drugs here by 1903, as seen in that city directory. Stichter drugs continues to be listed at this address in the 1906 and 1911 directories. 1928 shows a new occupant, Todd & Hedges Drugs but by 1937 it is Hedges Pharmacy.
1 Louisiana Press Journal . 1916. “His Life Work Done,” April 6.